I enjoy a rich cup of black coffee, especially at a local Denver or Richmond roaster. However, I’ve gotten into the habit of adding a spot of cream when I make my first morning cup at home. There’s something so divine: a gentle swirl to soften it up and add a touch of flavor. True, organic, grass-fed, heavy cream is a treat, and a little goes a long way.
When I went dairy-free, finding a replacement for my heavy cream was tough. The store-bought creamers tend to be laden with additives (even the organic ones). Sugar, gums, preservatives, emulsifiers…all things I wasn’t willing to add to my daily diet.
Finally, I settled on coconut milk as my base creamer. It adds the same depth and fullness as dairy. To mimic that hint-of-flavor and sweetness that a store-bought creamer has, I came up with this recipe. I make a full batch at the beginning of the week, and then add a spot to each cup.
Want to make your life EVEN simpler? I sometimes freeze this into ice cubes. Then, I pop out an ice cube and add a single serving right into my mug. (Note: it will cool down your coffee juuuust enough. But, if you’re into piping hot coffee, melt the creamer cube in the microwave just before pouring coffee)
This would also pair well with a fragrant black tea! (…looking at you, Watson…)
The vanilla and saffron is decadent! However, there are a lot of options. This recipe also works very well with just vanilla. Or vanilla and cinnamon. For sweetness, try adding a tablespoon of maple syrup or honey or a few drops of liquid stevia.
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Oat Milk Creamer
- 2 cups (16 oz) Willa’s Organic Barista Oat Milk
- 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice or Cinnamon
- 1 Vanilla Bean (or 1 tsp Vanilla)
- 1 tsp Liquid Stevia or Monk Fruit (optional)
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Warm Oat Milk in a small saucepan over low heat
- Slice Vanilla Bean lengthwise, Add to saucepan (or stir in Vanilla Extract)
- Add pumpkin puree, spices, and sea salt
- Gently simmer 15-20 minutes. Allow Vanilla and Spices to infuse into Oat Milk
- Strain out vanilla bean pod and sweeten as desired
- Store in a glass jar, refrigerate up to one week. (Or Freeze into individual ice cube tray servings)
The ingredients of this Canned Organic Coconut Milk are great. I get my coconut milk from Thrive Market. Click Here to save on your first order!