2 HOURS | VEGAN + DAIRY-FREE | SERVES 4
Nutrition per serving:
137 Cals, 2g Protein, 25g Carbs, 4g Fat, 13g Sugar, 3g Fiber
One of my favorite activities is browsing the grocery store, especially on a weekday when I have time to explore. This week, in the ‘NEW PRODUCTS’ section, I stumbled upon Hu Kitchen Grain-Free Cookies. << The Hu Kitchen brand is one of my favorite allergen-friendly brands >>
I immediately thought about how good these would be in Classic Banana Pudding! Cinnamon cookies and banana pudding are a match made in heaven- especially when you line the bowl and they start to go slightly soft. Know what I mean?
Well, I haven’t had true banana pudding in YEARS as it’s typically made with milk and refined sugar. Two ingredients I’ve limited in my diet. So, I started dreaming up ways to make a similar childhood favorite but replacing the dairy and sweetener with something more friendly for my skin (and gut!).
Enter: Willa’s Dark Chocolate Oat Milk
You already know my obsession with Willa’s as the cleanest (& tastiest) Oat Milk you can buy. The dark chocolate oat milk is sweetened with Maple Sugar, a less-inflammatory and less-processed sweetener that doesn’t break me out. So, mixing this up with bananas, a touch more maple syrup, and vanilla was a perfect base for a healthier Vegan Chocolate Banana Pudding!
To get the pudding consistency, Arrowroot Powder acts as a thickener and Coconut Manna adds creaminess. The best part? This pudding comes together in under ten minutes on the stovetop. Let it chill for two hours, and you’ve got excellent Chocolate Banana Pudding reminiscent of the old-school stuff!
Ingredients in Vegan Chocolate Banana Pudding:
- Bananas – slightly over-ripe so they mash up well
- Maple Syrup – I use Thrive Market’s Grade A Maple Syrup from Vermont
- Willa’s Organic Chocolate Oat Milk – a MUST for the chocolate-y goodness! If you want a more classic banana pudding, use Willa’s Original Organic Oat Milk
- Arrowroot Powder – A vegan starch that acts as a thickener. Find it in the baking aisle at the grocery store, or direct from Amazon.
- Coconut Butter – also called Coconut Manna. This is a butter made from coconut meat. You’ll find it in a jar near the other nut butters.
- Vanilla Extract – I’m telling you, Heilala Vanilla will change your life. No other extract comes close to the rich TRUE vanilla flavor.
- Raaka Chocolate Cacao Powder – for extra chocolate-y goodness, particularly if Willa’s Chocolate is sold-out! I love the adaptogens in this drink mix, it works great in a recipe like this too.
- More Sliced Bananas
- Chopped Nuts – Pecans, Walnuts, or Hazelnuts would pair great
- Hu Kitchen Snickerdoodle Cookies – crumbled, or line the jars before filling
-You’ll need a small saucepan to heat and thicken the pudding
-I like small mason jars for individual puddings. This recipe makes four 1/2 cup servings.
Vegan Chocolate Banana Pudding
- 1 Small Saucepan
- 4 Single-Serve Glass Jars
- 2 medium Bananas Mashed
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 ¼ cups Dark Chocolate Oat Milk Divided
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 1 tbsp Coconut Butter
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the mashed banana, maple syrup, 1 cup of the milk, and whisk well. Cook for three to four minutes, stirring occasionally.2 medium Bananas, 1 tbsp Maple Syrup, 1 1/4 cups Dark Chocolate Oat Milk
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining milk with the arrowroot powder to dissolve any clumps.1 tbsp Arrowroot Powder, 1 1/4 cups Dark Chocolate Oat Milk
- Stir the arrowroot/milk mixture into the saucepan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the coconut butter and stir. Cook until thickened, another three to five minutes.1 tbsp Coconut Butter
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and sea salt. Divide into jars and place in the fridge for two hours to thicken.1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract, 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Top with chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts) and crushed wafers as desired. Enjoy!
I shop my grocery staples at Thrive Market. Thrive Market is an online marketplace that offers the best prices on gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and more specialty items. You can filter by ‘value’ including dietary restrictions, ethical standards, and company structure (BIPOC-founded, Woman-Owned). Most products are 25-50% off retail prices. NEW Thrive Market Members save an extra 40% on their first order!
Want to work with a nutritionist to personalize your diet?
Shop This Article:
KateDaugherty.Com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I may receive commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.