Guest Post by Lauren Miller
Clean Beauty products changed my life. Here’s my perspective and my top recommended products…
I was treated to the dreamiest facial last week and the esthetician told me that I had great skin elasticity and wonderful skin tone with no hyperpigmentation. Good thing I was already laying down or I probably would have fallen over, because I have never in my life heard a compliment so good, especially from a professional! I walked out of there glowing both on the outside, and the inside.
You see, this wasn’t always the case. In fact, my skin was something that I always struggled with. I had acne most of my life. I still remember being called “sideburns” in the 7th grade because my acne was so bad. At 24, I was diagnosed with PCOS and that is when my low-tox journey began. I started learning about ingredients in both food, and in the products I was using. I started managing my hormones by seeing functional medicine practitioners and nutrition specialists, and swapping my skincare and makeup for clean beauty products.
It wasn’t an easy switch for me. I’ve been wearing makeup since 7th grade and grew up in the generation that used alcohol as a toner and didn’t think my face was clean unless I used harsh, beaded cleansers that smelled like strawberries. Intense acne treatment was prescribed left and right, but it was not an option for me– especially once I learned about the side effects, impact on hormones, and ingredients. Man, did I have a lot to learn—and still do.
Why The Beauty Industry Needs A Revamp:
While on this journey, I learned that the beauty industry is one of the most unregulated industries. It literally allows toxic chemicals and endocrine disruptors to be used in the products that we use on a daily basis. The United States only bans 30 ingredients in cosmetics, compared to Europe who bans 1300. Clearly, this isn’t okay- we all deserve better.
Enter: Beautycounter. A company whose mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. Beautycounter bans over 1800 harmful or questionable ingredients in their products. Beautycounter products are ethically sourced and USA made. They are sustainable, a certified B-Corp, Leaping Bunny certified, and high-performing. Beautycounter triple screens every ingredient to test for heavy metal contamination and toxicity. The best part? They are a company that advocates to change beauty laws at both the state and federal level in the United States and Canada.
We are exposed to hundreds of toxic ingredients from our personal care and beauty products daily. Women use an average of 12 products a day, exposing themselves to 168 different chemicals before walking out the door in the morning, while men are exposed to an average of 85 from their products (Environmental Working Group, 2015). Currently, there’s an overwhelming burden of hormone-altering cosmetics for teen girls. I’m so grateful the idea of “clean” is starting to trend more and more. I have been able to squash my own notion that “clean” doesn’t perform because I have completely transformed my skin with clean products. Trust me, I am far from perfect, but this was without a doubt a change I needed to make.
Here are my Top 5 Must-Have Beautycounter products:
- Counter+ Overnight Resurfacing Peel: Hands-down the product that has probably transformed my skin the most, getting rid of dullness and welcoming the “glow”. It’s a leave-on multi-acid AHA/BHA peel that improves skin texture and boosts clarity without over-drying or irritation.
- Countertime Collection: This collection is designed to visibly firm, brighten, and plump the skin. Hello, aging gracefully! Beautycounter coined the “Retinatural Complex” by combining two of the most powerhouse plant-based ingredients: Bakuchiol and Swiss Alpine Rose. Bakuchiol has been shown to provide skincare results that are comparable to retinol, without the harmful side effects. Swiss Alpine Rose boosts the skin’s antioxidant defense. It’s truly never too early to set your skin up for aging well!
- All-Bright C Serum: If the fact that this smells like a golden-milk latte isn’t enough, then the results will be! Vitamin C is all the craze now, but the problem is that most Vitamin C serums are made with unstable forms. With an ultra-potent 10% blend of two forms of Vitamin C, this serum instantly brightens, helps to reduce the appearance of dark spots, while turmeric and camu-camu protect against new ones and environmental stressors. Combine with the Resurfacing Peel, and you have a game-changing duo.
- Skin-Twin Featherweight Foundation: I never thought it was possible to find a foundation that was clean, and also covered well without making my skin look “cakey”. But this breathable, buildable formula packed with hyaluronic acid not only does the makeup job, but it provides skincare while wearing it to visibly plump the skin. It’s weightless, long-wearing, provides hydration, and comes in 18 beautiful shades.
- Countersun Daily Sheer Defense (SPF 25): Yes, it’s reef-friendly! It’s formulated with non-nano zinc oxide to protect against UVA, UVB, and HEV blue light rays while leaving no chalky whitecase. It’s lightweight, and packed with antioxidants to protect the skin from pollution, while also supporting the skin’s moisture barrier.
Clean Beauty is a GAME CHANGER
It’s never too late to start taking care of your skin. Transforming your skin starts on the inside, followed by good skincare. You no longer have to sacrifice quality to get the results you want with clean products. So eat the nourishing foods, drink all the water, and start swapping your products if you haven’t already. Little by little you can reduce your toxic load, while also taking care of your skin.
For a great free resource, check out the Environmental Working Group. It’s easy and does the research for you.
Want a personalized skincare and clean beauty consultation? Reach out to me on Instagram!
Related: The Hormone Healing Diet
Clean Beauty New Customer Offer:
Did you know NEW Beautycounter customers get 20% off their first order? Use code CLEANFORALL20 at checkout.
Want to work with a Beautycounter Consultant to get a personalized Clean Beauty Routine? Ready to make low-tox changes but not sure where to start? Reach out to me! Find me on Instagram @LaurenKenzieMiller.
You May Also Like: